Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Gulty Shadi

No sooner that I woke up on the 30th morning I felt all the aches and pains form the tiring trip I had the previous day. But I had to get up & going to Vizag, a city which personally I like a lot because I think it is the only place in India where one can still find good NEAT clean decent beaches unlike other places like Chennai or Mumbai plus my buddy Goli stays there.

But the occasion this time was to attend a colleague’s wedding. I almost had half a mind to skip it, but given that I know so little of Hindu traditions and marriages, sad cuz I am supposedly a Telugu Brahmin, I decided to go through with it.

Travel was very different this time. I wasn’t flying (I wanted to). It was the train this time, and the painful part was that it was sleeper class. (Ouch). It amazed me how the mode of transportation I used so many times in my college life and my life before that, was close to intolerable for me this time round. The train seemed very dirty, hot & smelly (yuck hate that pungent smell & or when train hits the brakes and you get that metallic smell). I had forgotten the feeling. The last time I had gotten into the second class bogie of a train was almost 5 – 6 years ago.
But I dint wanna sound snooty and go for the A/C bogie cuz it was a bunch of us traveling and was of the common interest of everyone that we traveled that way.

Newes on to Vizag. It wasn’t much different from the Mumbai heat or climate, but just a tad better. It was the 12.00 in the noon on 1st May by the time we reached Vizag. Was a holiday for most of us as it was the May Day or better know as Labour Day. The wedding was early on the 2nd. So we had some time to kill. All of us went to another one of my colleagues place and to the famous Simhachalam Temple.

Pretty much routine huh, but what bowled me over was the seeing my colleague, he was a sight. I mean never seen a guy apply mehendi to his hands before this (which later my mom told was the usual practice sitting the example of Aby junior). But seriously guy with mehendi on his hands, geez I don’t buy it, even more was the fact that he had written his soon to be wife’s name as the design. How tacky. But what was even more intriguing was the fact that he had put that red thingy on his feet. I really dunno what you call it in
English but as far as I remember they call it ALTA in Hindi.

The marriage was lesser than average and the arrangements for stay and food were far below what I thought it would be. Was all very forgettable and I would prolly have to come back read this to remember any of it.

The only good thing about the trip was when I met Goli, and drove the new Swift DDIs along the beach road. The car was awesome. Much better than anything else in the same class in India. Guess the Maruti guys figured out their CRDe stuff quiet well. No wonder such a long waiting period. My Santro suddenly seems much lesser.

Goli & I just hanged for a while before I took on the torture of the smelly train for the second time in as many days.

1 comment:

Engineering Aspirant said...

BTW I now own this suzuki class you spoke about.